06 January 2009

The First Kiss and Other Stuff Too!

The stunning and consistently amazing Sher over at Sherendipity (go read her...if you don't, you're only hurting yourself) has provided me with an interview meme which is sort of cool as far as memes go. I even volunteered for it. One of my answers even has a story attached to it, because that never happens on my blog.

1.  Do you remember your first kiss?  C'mon, dish.

(This is the answer with a story...it would be a disservice not to tell it all.)

Ahh, my first kiss. I remember it well. I was at a camp for gifted children in eighth grade. I don't know where all those smarts went, but they were there once evidently. It lasted a week and there was the cutest girl there. We met on the first day during some sort of nerd activity and it was love at first sight. The night of the same day, when the others were singing Kumbaya or some sort of similar crap around a camp fire, we were off talking. We could hear the fire crackling and it was a nice, cool evening. We stopped talking at some point and just stared into each other's eyes. Then we leaned in for the The Kiss. It was a first kiss for both of us, but there wasn't any awkwardness, it was just sweet and tender and it felt right.

We spent the rest of the week alternately sneaking across the camp grounds and crawling into each other's respective tent to steal away whatever moments we could. The counselors only watched the front of the old army tents and left the rear of the tent unguarded. C'mon people, we were gifted. You had to do better than that.

When the week was over, we said our goodbyes. Our schools played each other in football, so once a year we would meet at the game since we were both in our respective school's band. We never kissed again, we just caught up and shared stories and went our separate ways after the game.

My freshman year of college, I got a card in the mail for my birthday that had a picture of Miss Piggy on the front of the card laying in a tent. When you opened it, Kermit was pictured entering the rear of the tent with the phrase, "You can sneak into my tent any time." It was from her.

Good times.

2.  What lesson did you learn from your parents (good, or bad) that will, or has, influenced your style of parenting?

From my mom: Stand up for for your child no matter what. That and I have her sense of humor... that plays a huge part in my parenting.

From my dad: "Because I said so" is a good enough reason. Also, give your kids enough rope to hang themselves and pull their butt out of the fire when they need it because most kids (or maybe it was just me) are too dumb to learn otherwise.

3.  Was there ever a time in your life that you passed on an opportunity that you really wanted, only to realize later that it was more of a benefit that you didn't take advantage of it?

Not really. One of my favorite things to do is jump at the chance to do just about anything, regardless of whether I've thought it out or not. It's a bumpy road sometimes, but I have some great memories and haven't yet wound up killing myself.

4.  The year is 1999.  Ten years ago, today, what were doing?  Better yet, what did you THINK that you'd be doing ten years later, and how close were you?

I was working at the university that I work at now and had been married to my wife for almost five years. We had bought our house a year or so earlier and were so excited about it. We had finally climbed out of debt, so that was pretty awesome too.

What did I THINK I'd be doing ten years later? I pretty much envisioned myself where I'm at now (it's a good job) except that I thought I would have had a book published by now. I also didn't expect that we would have had to have adopted, but I wouldn't change that for the world.

5.  If you could write a letter to the future you, reminding yourself of anything at all, how would that letter read?

Dear idiot,

Just a few things in case you managed to forget them in the interim... Remember to find the humor in everything that you possibly can. Practice patience, you know how you get if you don't. Put your mind to it (and your back if you have to) and you'll get to where you want to be. Spend as much time as you can with your wife and your child. No one ever said on the deathbed, "I wish I had worked more."

If you forgot any of that stuff, you deserved to be called an idiot. If not, you can just crumble this letter up and toss it... job well done.

 

Okay, that's that with the interview questions. I'd like to give a big thanks to Sher for coming up for such great questions and for just being Sher. You're awesome, babe. No question about it.

If anyone is interested in being interviewed, just leave an "interview me" or "do me" in a comment and I'll come up with some questions for you. All shiny new and personalized! I'll take the first two "do me's" because I'm too lazy to come up with questions for more than two people ;)

 

69 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

You did it so much better than I did. Except for the first kiss one. We ended it the same way. Can I say first?

Sprite's Keeper said...

Yes, I can! Woot!

Mama Dawg said...

Hey, am I the offical second person? If so, do me!

Debbie said...

Who wrote this post? It was too sweet for you. Love the first kiss story. And good for the girl keeping up with you until college.

Michele said...

What a sweet first kiss story. You still have time for the book.

Anonymous said...

Do me, do me!

Diane said...

Ooooh ooooh, do me! And I mean that in a totally non-dirty way. Sort of ;)

Oh, and gifted? What, were you the camp mascot? ;)

Cajoh said...

I must admit that I am guilty of #5. In college I used to write to myself and send it to my parents house so that when I got there I would remember those things I wanted to bring back to school with me.

Sass said...

I loved this post. I loved those questions.

I'm jumping up and down..."Do me, do me, do me!!!"

:)

Diane said...

Crap... I would have been second if I typed 80wpm instead of 70. Would you do me anyway, since you love me and all? And I take back that mascot thing, totally.

Anonymous said...

You want people to come on here and say 'do me'?
Sheesh Heinous, you'll do anything for a quick thrill!

Anonymous said...

You want people to come on here and say 'do me'?
Sheesh Heinous, you'll do anything for a quick thrill!

Petra a.k.a The Wise (*Young*) Mommy said...

Damn, I seem to be failing at my resolution of being in your top 10 every post already! Anyway, I am too late for the meme, so I will go crawl into a corner and cry...don't feel bad, I'll be fine...

Cute first kiss story. Way cuter than mine, which was a truth or dare. But the cool thing is, he is now my friend on Facebook :)

Irish Gumbo said...

I have a first kiss story, but there is a lot of guilt in the aftermath, still workin' that out...

Unknown said...

Jen: Your answers were awesome. That's funny we both ended it like that.

Mama Dawg: I'll work up questions :)

Debbie: Sorry about that. I'll knock that sweet stuff off.

Michele: I'm working on it now.

Natasha: You got it.

Diane: I'll get you some questions too.

Cajoh: Just like "Rikki Don't Lose That Number."

Sass: This is turning into more than two...

Diane: Of course, my dear.

Tara: I gave the option of "Interview me." I am totally innocent in this... well, mostly.

Petra: aww... I'll get you some questions too, hon.

IG: The Spin Cycle at Sprite's Keeper is all about guilt this week ;)

Sherendipity said...

"stunning and consistently amazing"

The check is in the mail. ;)
Now off to read....

Jamie said...

Love these questions & answers. I would say 'pick me! pick me!' but I am like number 17 - OY!

♥ Braja said...

Wait...you want me to come here and say "do me"??? Are you nuts? I know you're just waiting for me to be an internationally recognized author and Oprah guest so you can start selling off all the salacious comments I've made on your site....you're sooo transparent, Heinous...Jesus wept...

Sherendipity said...

Let me just say, first and foremost, those questions were awesome. The person that came up with those must be stunning and consistently amazing.
Alright, alright, I'll smack myself upside the head and move on.

Awesome answers. You did not disappoint!! Thank you for letting me interview you. This meme is wicked. I wonder if I can con someone into interviewing me again? ;)

Jenny Grace said...

Do me good baby.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to ask people to do you! :) Wish I had thought of it first! Ahem.
Love your first kiss story. Very sweet.

WeaselMomma said...

I thought I signed up for this last week?

Captain Dumbass said...

That was a great post, Heinous.

Green said...

I recall my first kiss too. I was called a prude-I didn't give tongue :p

Khadra said...

I think Im reverting back to being a teenager...

"do me"?

scary stuff you are leaving yourself open to!

Great answers :)

Kat said...

You just want to hear me say "do me" I know it and I am not going to give you the satisfaction, ya perv. ;) No seriously, it looks like you have plenty of takers but feel free to tag me with your next meme.

Maternal Mirth said...

I, too, start out all letters to myself with "Dear Idiot" ... heck, I *know* I am one, why lie to myself??

Also, because I said so ...

creative kerfuffle said...

oh yes--because i said so is that phrase that all people w/out kids say "i would NEVER say that" and then they have kids and realize you have to use it, it's in the parent rule book and it WORKS. not that i'm speaking from experience or anything.
good answers all around : )
obviously you have your hands full but if you get bored do me, though i've been done before.

Gucci Mama said...

Put your speech pants on. I have an award for you.

nonna said...

good answers. i don't want you to do me though. well...um...nah, i don't want you to do me. too much pressure to come up funny/entertaining answers. enjoyed it though

Irishembi said...

"Because I Said So"
Hmmmm, where have I heard that before?

You don't have to do me just yet. I'm patient. :-)

zipbagofbones said...

I so want you to "do me', but not with an interview. He he. Hardy-har-har. I need more coffee, clearly.

for a different kind of girl said...

Your first kiss story is adorable, and perhaps an even bigger first in that it wasn't awkward!

Great answers to great questions!

Vodka Mom said...

That was lovely. NOw get over here for a shot of crown royal.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I really really loved my first kiss, too. Such a moment, going in for that very first one.

Sigh.

Ellie

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

Ok I think you were considered a geek cause I just heard that a nerd can't get any chicks but geeks can...and I think this soo makes me a nerd for knowing that anwser or wait is it a geek? : ) Great post!!

Michelle said...

Love the Miss Piggy card. It's interesting to see how each of us answered differently.

Anonymous said...

that was great, but dude, I never even had a chance.

Ann Imig said...

Still lovin' your blog. Not sure about the Miss Piggy ending though. Kinda creepy. Then again, it was nerd camp.

Cape Cod Gal said...

Cute story! I was a sleep away camp girl too! Had my first 2nd base experience there. He was so cute!

Paige said...

aw how sweet, your first kiss story. I am not even sure I remember mine- but I do remember who it was.

Who just found me on facebook. how is that for weird

Anonymous said...

Awesome meme!

*clapping hands*

Anonymous said...

Nicely done!

I love your Dad's rope-fire-butt philosophy. My parents were much more sheltering, but I've swung more in the other direction. I'll let my kids actually get themselves into trouble before I swoop in. Well, actually just my oldest. The girls seem to have things under control.

Kirsten said...

I guess I'm too late for you to do me!
Oh well! Good questions. I especially like the 10 year one.
BTW-I love your nerd-love story. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that she sent a card on your birthday. Awesome.
I'm always one of the last people to comment on anyone's blog and usually I don't care. I'm kinda bummed now, though.;)

Michael from dadcation.com said...

That was great! Thanks for sharing. I wonder if this is the meme Avitable was doing not long ago. I actually just finished writing questions for the folks who responded to my responses.

Queen Bee said...

That's amazing that your first kiss contacted you in college. I think my first kiss is in jail now...thank goodness it didn't work out. Haha

Unknown said...

Sher: Any time, they are good questions. I'm sure this one will make its rounds again.

Jamie: Heck, I'll get everybody.

Braja: Only if Oprah was the highest bidder...

Miss Grace: You got it.

Robin: They could have said "Interview me" ;)

WM: It wasn't here...I'll send you my questions if you want.

Cap'n: Thanks. I appreciate that.

Cindy: Well, you sort of got two chances then.

Khadra: I live on the edge like that ;)

Kat: Okey Dokey

MM: It's good to have the blinders off.

CK: One can never get done too much...

Stephanie: I'm on my way :)

nonna: Thank you.

Irishembi: I'm sure this one will pass around for a while.

Cat: You crack me up :)

fadkog: Thank you. I got lucky, we were both good at it.

Debbie: I can admire that haircut then.

Ellie: It's amazing how it comes back to you, isn't it?

Sarah: Geek it is then.

Michelle: I know, It will be interesting to see this as the questions change and it passes around. I'll have a lot of stalking to do.

Tony: I can get you too. I'm all generous today.

Ann: That what you get from a flock of geeks.

CCG: Damn, you did better than I did.

Paige: That's sort of neat though.

GP: Many Thanks!

goodfather: Boys are always like that it seems.

Kirsten: I'll get you my batch and thanks.

Sammanthia: Aww...I'll take care of you.

Fr. Muskrat: Probably. The questions keep changing.

Queen Bee: Lol...that's gotta be a good story though.

That Janie Girl said...

Loved your answers!

Stacy Uncorked said...

Great post! Guess I'm going to have to reorganize my blog-hopping computer time to do it in the morning instead of at night, so I could have been in on the 'do me' action! ;)

DeeMarie said...

Love the First Kiss story. Love the letter to yourself!!
And what the heck? Do me. :)

Cynthia said...

Good questions...good answers!

Casey said...

Nice letter to yourself. I'll try not to say "I wish I had worked more" when I finally croak so I don't prove you wrong.

anymommy said...

First kiss stories are just so darn sweet.

blissfully caffeinated said...

Wait a second...These aren't the same questions that were on Sher's blog. I was hoping to get your answer to #7. :)-

Your first kiss story is adorable. I wish I could pinch your cheek right now.

Melanie Gillispie said...

Oooh - I love first kiss stories. Mine involved some unexpected butt grabbing which scared me at the time but now I find hilarious, and my algebra teacher telling us to break it up. There I go being all classy again.

And, you know when you've made it to Diane's inner realm when she accuses you of being a big, furry, costumed animal supporting people more talented than you.

Divine Chaos said...

awww, what a sweet first kiss story :) My first kiss involved a hayride, him falling off the haywagon, and me ending up with a big cut on my nose when he was flailing wildly trying to get back on .. the wagon. lol

Ron said...

I think I have a drawer full of "Dear Idiot" letters somewhere ... or at least I should. Good stuff, Jim

Pearl said...

Wait -- this "do me". That's the interview, right?
:-)
Never mind!
Pearl

Badass Geek said...

I've lurked a few times, but for some reason, I've never commented. Thus, my first comment.

Funny shit, man. I'll be back.

Anonymous said...

Awww you are too sweet and good for your own good!

KJ said...

Awesome. I'm way too late to ask you to "do me", but I think I'll take your questions and answer them on my blog later in the next few days.

Anonymous said...

Excellent answers. I'm not sure what I was doing in 1999 but I think it was (what else) partying like it was the current year!

Please check my blog, I have something for you there.

Unknown said...

Janie: Thank You!

Stacy: I have you covered.

DeeMarie: You got it.

NW: Thank you and I'm sure Sher does too.

Casey: You would just to prove me wrong. That would be sort of funny though.

anymommy: and no teeth were clinked in the process.

Jen: LOL..I'd have to go with neither for #7. I'd let you.

Mel: Butt grabbing? You little minx. I've got plans for Diane...

DC: lol...that would be a good story.

Ron: It's nice to keep yourself humble and thanks.

Pearl: Indeed :)

BG: Thank you for the comment. I should delurk on your site too...

Krystal: I've had my non moments...

Kat: Feel free or I can send you the ones I came up with.

Bryan: Thanks for the comment and I'll be over.

Mariah said...

Do me too since you're doing everyone else :)
I remember my first kiss vividly

Lawyer Mom said...

Wait. Wait. I'm confused. Did the camp, the giftedness, or the kiss last a week?

I won't say "do me" but I do say to return to my blog sometime. You don't send me flowers any more.

Anonymous said...

The answer to #2 was awesome.

And I'm not going to comment on how sweet the kiss story was...because I'm a dude and dudes don't do that stuff, right.

Anonymous said...

I kinda appreciate your dad's no nonsense style. That works.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I totally remember MY first kiss...SUCh good times...it turned out to be my first MAKE-OUT also! Also very good times! :)

I'm a newbie to your site! it's great! :)