24 August 2008

I had a race scheduled for the day today, so The Wife and The Boy hopped in the car with me and we all headed down. The race started in a park, so we took The Boy's bike along to keep him occupied. When I had registered for the race, it was mainly so I could run the 5k but I took a look at the idea behind the event too. I thought it was a great idea, so it made the run that much more special. The local event had 185 flags around the war memorial in Boalsburg...one for each of the fallen soldiers from PA.

While we were milling around at the starting line, I was taking time to read some of the names around me. It was touching, but it wasn't until I passed a flag that someone had placed a picture of their loved one that it really hit home. Here was the picture of a strong, young man who looked like he could take on the world...except it ended up the other way around.

Then someone said, "Take your marks. Go!" So I went and so did some really awesome thought that would have been great to write down somewhere--in a blog perhaps--but events swept it away.

Random thoughts during the run (because that's all I have while running)

...wow, this is the hottest day in the past month, perhaps one of the hottest of the summer.

...how did they hid this hill around that little bend?

...that warning on the antibiotics ( the doc caught the Lyme disease early. No worries, but thanks for caring) about avoiding direct exposure to sunlight must be why it feels like I've been shaved all over vigorously and doused in vinegar.

...holy shit, that hill is much larger.

...lotsa dudes look really effeminate when they run. Hmmm...no, no, it must just be them.

...hill...still...going. must just put one foot in front of the other.

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

....AAAAHHHHHH how did a "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" tune get stuck in my head!? Goddamn it! Make it go away!

...almost done and finally a downhill...followed by a sharp uphill...and now I'm turning a corner...too a steeper hill.

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you’ll be walking out the door

...Mother. Fucker. Hate this song now.

...and a mild downhill to the finish.

The Boy was at the finish and ran the last 25 yards with me. Too cool.

race 019

and no, he does not require that helmet for normal, everyday life. He was riding his bike before I got there.

The race was fun and I don't really know where I placed yet, but I don't really care. The run was worth it and the cause was more than worth it. I will wear the shirt proudly.

race 023

Now I just have to figure out how the hell you can start and end at the same point and still run mostly uphill to get there.

No comments: