27 August 2008

How to kill your IT Department + Kindergarten

A scene from the breakroom:

"Did you bring that in?"
I looked at the neatly sliced cake my colleague was pointing at and said, "Nope. What about Rich?"
He shook his head and said, "He's not in yet. Is Jeff in?"
I shook my head, "I haven't seen him...unless he went out on call already."
Joel shrugged and said, "I'll be back in a second when the coffee is done."
A few minutes pass and Joel comes back. He looks around and says, "Did you eat a piece?"
"Dude, it was sitting there underutilized. I had to."
"How is it?"
"Quite tasty."

The moral: you can wipe out your whole computing department with one well-placed and well-laced pastry. Well, except for the the one person who took a whole week off from sweets. That one person will end up wishing he or she had eaten the cake as well after all the support calls start rolling in.

You will be happy to know that there were no casualties. I took one for the team here by being the official taster for the day. I'm still waiting for that medal of valor.


On the kindergarten front, my son was a smidge weepy the first day, but he did well. He didn't want mommy to leave, so we did the whole 'daddy runs blocker while mommy bolts for the door' maneuver. It's a well practiced move and has served us well over the years. I did the requisite comforting and then passed to the teacher who did an awesome job. He was fine as soon as we passed from sight.

100_2725_small 100_2729_small

100_2732_small

Day 2: I think he really could have cared less that we left. It was like he had grown up without even the big "Poof!" and puff of smoke. There was play-dough dammit. Bigger things were on the horizon...

No comments: